Today has seen the latest free expansion launched for Microsoft’s swashbuckling adventure, Sea of Thieves.
The new update went live several hours ago and requires that all Xbox One players update their game to the latest build, with the patch weighing in at around 1.42GB.
As confirmed by the Rare development team, Cursed Sails brings the threat of skeleton ships to the Sea of Thieves.
The dead have started to make war on the living, which means new PvE encounters for pirate crews.
“Pirate dominion over the waters is being challenged by crews of skeletons, united by their warped desire for vengeance on the living,” a message from Rare explains.
“Each region will be called out, so prepare to fight to protect your favourite Outposts! Form Alliances to share the rewards of co-operation, or perhaps the new three-person Brigantine ship will help to even the odds?
“Meanwhile, piece together the origins of these cursed vessels by investigating a certain rogue trader.
“This update includes both permanent new content and time-limited events, so jump in during the campaign to fully enjoy the spoils of war.”
Every pirate worth their salt is being challenged to battle at sea, and anyone who wants to get involved should follow these new markers to the Outposts being overrun.
The new update also adds the Brigantine vessel, which lets three-person crews join the fray, as well as allowing fans to form alliances.
Pirates who are looking at another way of discovering the new Cursed Sails secrets can talk to the Bilge Rats to investigate the source of the skeleton scourge.
“Something caused this new and personal threat to the pirate way of life, so why not ask your friendly, local Bilge Rat in the tavern if he’s heard any rumours?
“In this time-limited campaign, investigate the tale of a missing merchant and uncover the origins of the undead armada to unlock unique rewards.
Permanent content includes the new Brigantine ship for players and the threat of future skeleton ships as enemy encounters.
Skeleton-themed items (such as the lantern and speaking trumpet), clothing accessories and instruments will remain for sale in shops for those who unlock them.
The Hunter outfit and items will be available in shops for all players. Ghost ship decorations will remain open, for those with Legendary status.
The new Alliance system will also remain in place to let pirates form future fleets.
Time-limited campaign content includes a series of set battles against the skeleton armada, alongside an investigation into the cause of the attacks.
It also includes the chance to unlock skeleton-themed ship decorations, a skeleton scar and special sails for the three regions.
You can check out some of the new patch notes posted by Microsoft following the launch of the Sea of Thieves Cursed Sails update:
Alliances – A new “Offer Alliance” pennant flag has been added to the Flag Box in the crow’s nest, along with options to both “Join Alliance” and “Leave Alliance”. Don’t have a mic? Use the “LET’S FORM AN ALLIANCE!” option when holding a speaking trumpet to show your intentions! Form alliances with other crews you encounter on the Sea of Thieves to share in both adventure and reward. Just be careful who you trust, we are pirates after all!
- Eye of Reach Skeletons – The march of war has inspired skeletons to pick up the Eye of Reach, causing them to pose a threat from a longer distance than ever before. Take care across the entire map – these eagle-eyed foes aren’t only found in the crow’s nest of skeleton ships.
- Bone Crusher Ship Liveries – Won all the battles? Part with your Doubloons for the time-limited Bone Crusher Sails, Hull, Figurehead and Flag liveries throughout Cursed Sails!
- World Region Sails – Conquer the battles in each world region to earn The Ancient Isles Sail, The Shores of Plenty Sail and The Wilds Sail.
- Bone Crusher Scar and Tattoo – Conquer all three battles to earn the time-limited Bone Crusher Scar and Tattoo set, which will appear in your Vanity Chest.
- Price Drops – The arrival of the skeleton fleets has the shopkeepers panicked, so you’ll find significantly reduced prices across all the Outposts during Cursed Sails!
- Commendations – Earn 22 standard Commendations and two Legendary Commendations as part of Cursed Sails. The standard Commendations are only available to earn throughout this time-limited campaign – however, the Legendary Commendations are here to stay! Remember, being a three-week campaign means not all Commendations will be achievable within the same week.
- Bilge Rat Titles – Earn five unique titles introduced with the Cursed Sails Campaign and equip them straight from the Vanity Chest!
- Bilge Rat Doubloons – There are 200 Bilge Rat Doubloons available for the standard Commendations, and an additional 100 Bilge Rat Doubloons available for completing the Legendary Commendations. Each of the Cursed Sails Commendations on the Bilge Rat progress screen details the number of Bilge Rat Doubloons it rewards. Remember, being a three-week campaign means not all Doubloons will be achievable within the same week!
- Hunter Set – The Hunter clothing, items, weapons and ship liveries are now stocked across all Outposts. Spend your hard-earned gold on this sleek new set!
- Bone Crusher Set – The Bone Crusher belt, boots, eye patch, gloves, hook and peg leg are now stocked in the Outpost Clothing Shops. Also get your hands on the Bone Crusher equipment and instruments from the Equipment Shops, all in exchange for gold. Missed the rest of the Bone Crusher set made available during Bilge Rat Adventures? Not to worry, these will be back in the future… so keep your eyes peeled!
- Ghost Ship Liveries – Pirate Legends can now purchase the Ghost Ship Sails, Hull, Figurehead and Flag from within the Hideout. These require varying levels of progression within Athena’s Fortune to unlock.
- Hair Styles – 13 new hairstyles are now available to all pirates from the Vanity Chest. The High Society hairstyle is purchasable in the Outpost Clothing Shops in exchange for some gold coin.
- Hair Dye – 13 colours of hair dye are now available to all pirates, straight from the Vanity Chest. Now’s the time to spruce up your pirate! Perhaps you long for a colour that really brings out your eyes… perfect for your enemies to peer into as they fall to their watery grave!