Jellyfish sting treatment: What to do when stung – This Morning Dr Zoe reveals

0
9
Jellyfish sting treatment: What to do when stung - This Morning Dr Zoe reveals


Most stings from jellyfish in the UK are not serious, and can be treated with first aid, said the NHS.

The sting may lead to an intense pain, accompanied with itching, rash and raised welts.

What should you do if you’re stung by a jellyfish?

The worst thing you could do is rub the affected area, revealed This Morning’s Dr Zoe.

The sting could still be released by movement, even when the jellyfish is now nowhere to be seen.

“That tentacle is releasing the poison, and it can still sting if it’s in there,” said Dr Zoe.

“Use salt water to wash the area.

“Then, what you want to do is use warm water.

“Warm water is the only thing that can denature the protein [poison].

“Put it in warm water for 30 minutes – as warm as you can manage.”

You should also never wee on the sting – despite the myth.

Instead of urine, douse the wound with vinegar, advised the Mayo Clinic.

Carefully pluck the visible tentacles with a pair of fine tweezers.

When soaking the skin, aim for a water temperature of between 43 and 43 degrees Celsius.

If there isn’t a thermometer to hand, simply dip your hand in the water. It should feel warm, but not scolding hot.

If you’ve been stung by a jellyfish, you should go to a minor injuries unit if you have a severe pain that won’t go away, said the NHS.

You should also speak to a GP if the sting is on the face or genitals.

But you should dial 999 or go to A&E if you have difficulty breathing.

A severe swelling or chest pain should also be seen by a doctor in A&E.

To avoid being stung by a jellyfish, consider wearing a wetsuit when swimming in the sea, and look out for beach warning signs.



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here